Table of Contents
Treadmills are complex machines, with a number of motors, nuts, bolts, levers and pulleys put into action to bring together the perfect exercise equipment.
There are a number of things that might go wrong with a treadmill. Like every machine treadmills’ need fixing and maintenance from time to time.
What is Treadmill Squeaking Noise?
Best way to explain it is with… “The noise like a mouse is trapped in your cupboard.”
It is irritating and when you are trying to focus on running, the squeaking noise simply makes you angry.
A squeaking noise may be very uncomfortable for you and the people working out around you. A treadmill will normally make squeaking noise when it needs work done. Now since, you know that there is something wrong with your machine you might be asking, how do I stop my treadmill squeaking? Well, to find that out we need to know the cause of our machines squeaking.
What causes a treadmill to squeak?
Let’s learn what makes a treadmill squeak?
There are a number of factors that can cause a treadmill belt to squeak. There might be a probability that your treadmill belt is either too tight or too loose, a misaligned belt can cause you to fall off balance and slip. It happens when the surface of installation isn’t leveled.
How to Fix It?
Make sure to place your treadmill on a flat surface. Make sure that the belt is neither too tight nor too loose.
Lubricate the belt
Your treadmill belt might not be lubricated. It may be causing your machine to make squeaking noises.
What to do?
Follow the manual given to you by the company. Is your belt’s friction setting too high? This can cause excessive friction and strain on the motor and cause it to squeak and eventually collapse. Have your belt set on a medium friction setting for the longevity of your treadmill motor.
Noise from the motor
Your treadmill motor creates static electricity. This static can attract hair, dirt, lint and debris at alarming speed. This buildup of muck can cause your treadmill motor to make strange noises. This dirt buildup can also cause your motor to overheat and burn.
What to do?
You need to clean your motor with a vacuum or blower on a regular basis. You should check the proper way to clean your motor; as recommended in the user’s manual. Place your treadmill on a non-charged surface to reduce static. If you smell anything unusual or see sparks, stop working out right away and call your treadmill mechanic.
Metal on metal contact
Pivot points of the treadmill can cause a great amount of unwanted squeaking.
What to do?
Every machine has different pivot points that may start squeaking ten months into usage as the metal contracts or relaxes due to a change in weather conditions. It is best to lubricate them every week to stop the squeaking. This will also prevent further damage to the treadmill.
Things you need to do to Stop Treadmill Squeak
- Clean your treadmill weekly to prevent dust, hair and dirt from jamming the motor. If your treadmill is placed on a carpet, it is likely to get dust and hair balls in the machine. You can fix this problem by cleaning the treadmill belt and rollers every few months. If you use it on a regular basis, you can even clean the treadmill every week.
- The belt tension needs to be fixed monthly. Belt tension can be fixed by checking the distance between the belt and the board. If the belt is lose, tight it. If it is too tight, lose it so that you have a small distance between belt and the board on the treadmill.
Source: Fitness World
- Keep the belt and deck in constant check. Make sure there is no wear and tear. If some part of the treadmill gets broken and gets stuck between the belt and the board, it can also produce treadmill squeaking sound. But the squeaking will not be the only problem because it can cause major damage to a treadmill machine. So, make sure that doesn’t happen.
- Check wear and tear in the machine every three months. We have already discussed this part. You can check the wear and tear of the treadmill machine every few months to make sure it is a perfectly running order.
- Make sure to lubricate the machine every month. Most people don’t lubricate their treadmill machines on a regular basis. This is a BIG NO! If you are buying a fitness machine for exercise, then it is your responsibility to keep it in perfect shape. Because if you don’t, you are only wasting money.
- Clean the motor every six months to a year. If you are not sure how to clean the motor of a treadmill machine, then this video will be of great help to you.
Usually people are not aware that they have to clean the motor on their treadmill machines as well. So, they never clean it. You will need to remove the walking board to clean the motor. In some cases, it is difficult to open the cover. So, check the instruction manual provided by your treadmill manufacturer.
- Make sure the cleaning equipment is clean. This is the most important one. If you are using the same cleaning equipment that you use to clean your motorbike, car, or the generator, it will do more harm then good. So, avoid using any such equipment that is used for other purposes. Also, make sure to regularly use vacuum cleaner in the area where you keep your treadmill machine so that it can clean dust, moth balls, hair, and fluff.
Bottom-line: Make Sure Treadmill Doesn’t Squeak
Keep these points in mind to stop your treadmill from squeaking. The key is to deal with the problem as soon as it is detected. Delays can drastically decrease the machine’s life.
So, follow the tips that we mentioned above and make sure that you keep your treadmill machine in a perfect position.