In this article we will discuss how to hang punching bag in your home gym. You will have two options:
How to hang punching without drilling? or how to hang punching bag in basement? Let’s learn both of them below.
First thing first:
Table of Contents
How to Hang a Punching Bag without Drilling
Punching bags are quite heavy with the heaviest ones weighing up to 200 lbs and we know that for a fact. They are great for boxing, MMA training, pre-workout warm ups or just taking out your frustration. That is why many of us either have one installed in our homes or are planning to get one. Whether these bags are light weight or on the heavier side, if not installed properly they can easily tear through the ceiling of your house and bring it down.
But there is a simple way to install these heavy punching bags in a way that they hold their place and do not damage your ceiling. All you need to do is just follow these steps to hang punching bags without a drill. The tutorial can work for all bags that weigh as much as 125 lbs or more.
How to Hang Punching Bags Without Drilling?
Below are the steps that you need to hang your punching bag.
- Once you have chosen the room you want to hang the bag in, look for a space that doesn’t have any obstacles. Check the ceiling for the presence of a joist in that area.
- Measure the distance from the joist to the wall. If it is 2 feet or more, you are good to go. If it’s lesser, look for a different spot.
- Find the eye bolt that came with bag. Now measure it with a drill bit attachment. It doesn’t have to be the exact size or a bigger size. In fact go for a slightly smaller diameter than the eye bolt.
- Drill through the ceiling joist until you hit the wood. Next, Insert the eye bolt in the hole and screw it to secure in place. You can also use chain and a big hook to hang the punching bag instead of drilling. In most cases, you will have to either drill the screw to the joist or use a rope to wrap it around the joist. both are fine for punching bags that weigh less than 125 lbs.
- Now place a swivel in the eye bolt or hook followed by the spring.
- Finish by hooking the chains on the bag and attaching the bag to the swivel and spring.
This is a simple way to hang a punching bag to the ceiling of a house, garage, warehouse, barn or any empty area with a roof.
Next, let’s learn how to hang a punching bag without a drill to an apartment. The below study is for all those punching bags that weigh more than 125 lbs.
How to hang punching bags that weigh more than 125 lbs?
For bags that weigh more than 125 lbs, follow the following steps to hang the punching bag without drilling.
- Attach the chains and swivel assembly to the bag as instructed.
- Drill and screw the ceiling mount on a joist and attach the eye bolt plate in the middle
- Hang the bag from the eye bolt
- Drill a hole on the floor for the eye hook and screw it in place.
- Tie one end of a bungee cord to the eye hook and the other on the D-ring located beneath the bag.
- That’s it! You are done.
How to Hang Punching Bag In Basement
It is important to place your exercise equipment in a suitable way and at a reasonable place to avoid injuries and to get the most out of the exercise equipment especially when you have to place the equipment in the basement of your home gym.
Installing a heavy bag in your basement needs serious consideration because it is one of the sturdiest home gym equipment and placing it in a perfect place is a challenging task. There are various factors to be considered while installation in order to avoid any mishap. Some of them are listed below.
Distance from Ceiling
Placing the heavy bag at a reasonable distance of the punching bag from the ceiling is the most important factor to be considered while hanging it. Measure the distance between the joists you want to place your equipment on. Make sure that the ceiling of the basement may be strong enough to bear the weight of your punching bag and does not have cracks or other damages.
Height Of Punching Bag
How high the heavy bag should be hanged in the basement of your home gym is an important question. Consider the heavy bag as your opponent, therefore, it should be high enough that you can blow the punch in the opponent’s head. Thus, place the heavy bag the way it may be leveled with your head.
Using a Heavy bag Mount
Many types of heavy bag mounts are easily available in the market. Choosing a sturdy heavy bag mount is appropriate to hang your heavy bag in the basement safely. V-shaped and C shaped mounts are available that connect the two beams on your ceiling. They present the distance between the two beams between which the heavy bag is to be installed.
Fixing the Punching Bag Mount
Another important step is to fix the mount appropriately and level it up. Make sure that the hooks fixed to place the mount point downward. The distance between the mount and the joist should be equal from both sides, therefore, fix the mount on the basement’s ceiling with the help of the inch-tape so that the distance may not be unequal. If the distance is not equivalent the bag will become imbalanced.
First, drill the holes in the beam after measuring the correct distance and then turn the bolts in the holes. Make sure to turn the bolts tight for the safety and security of the mount and the heavy bag.
Now, hang the heavy bag on the mount from the hook.
Important: Hanging Punching Bag Without Boxing
You will need a few tools in order to get the bag fixed appropriately i.e.
- Drill Machine
- Heavy bag spring
- Stud finder
- Drill bits
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $27.90Was: $32.99
Few helpful Tips
- Sometimes it happens that the basement’s joists vibrate while hitting the bag intensely. The spring may help you here. You can fix the spring with the hook and then hang the bag to avoid any such issue.
- Your basement’s ceiling might be covered with sheet rock. If so, then take a stud finder and find a two-beam in your ceiling. The stud finder will beep once the beams are found. Now cut the sheet rock between the two beams in order to install the mount.
Hanging Punching Bag Alternatives
There are many alternatives available for people who would not want to hang the punching bag to the ceiling. They don’t have to mount the punching bags at all. Here is what you should do.
> Search from free standing punching bags
> Get a standing speed punching bag
> Use a desktop punching bag for practice
> Use a wooden dummy to practice your kung fu and martial arts moves
> Practice boxing by fighting with real person
FAQ: Hanging Punching Bag without Drilling
- Can I hang the punching bag in the same way in apartment?
Yes, a punching bag can be hanged in the same way in an apartment. You can use the hook of the fan to hang the punching bag instead of creating a separate hole in the ceiling.
- Can I hang the punching bag to a drywall ceiling?
Yes, but make sure that you don’t drill a hole in the drywall to hang the punching bag. In drywall, drilling isn’t an effective way to hang the punching bag. Instead, simply search for the joist in the ceiling. You can also use the fan hook to hang the punching bag. This may be a cumbersome process but it is worth it. Also, you can buy a wall hanging bracket to hang the punching bags in the apartment.
- How to use a punching bag in basement without hanging it?
Some people are using free standing punching bags. You don’t need to hang these punching bags to the ceiling of your house or apartment. Simply, use the standing punching bag and workout at anytime of the day.
In most cases, you won’t be able to find a place to hang your punching bag without drilling. However, you can always get a fan hook to hang the punching bag. That’s why most people are always in its favor.