- Punching bags are quite heavy with the heaviest ones weighing up to 200 lbs and we know that for a fact. They are great for boxing, MMA training, pre-workout warm ups or just taking out your frustration. That is why many of us either have one installed in our homes or are planning to get one. Whether these bags are light weight or on the heavier side, if not installed properly they can easily tear through the ceiling of your house and bring it down.
But there is a simple way to install these heavy punching bags in a way that they hold their place and do not damage your ceiling. All you need to do is just follow these steps to hang punching bags without a drill. The tutorial can work for all bags that weigh as much as 125 lbs or more.
Table of Contents
How to Hang Punching Bags Without Drilling?
Below are the steps that you need to hang your punching bag.
- Once you have chosen the room you want to hang the bag in, look for a space that doesn’t have any obstacles. Check the ceiling for the presence of a joist in that area.
- Measure the distance from the joist to the wall. If it is 2 feet or more, you are good to go. If it’s lesser, look for a different spot.
- Find the eye bolt that came with bag. Now measure it with a drill bit attachment. It doesn’t have to be the exact size or a bigger size. In fact go for a slightly smaller diameter than the eye bolt.
- Drill through the ceiling joist until you hit the wood. Next, Insert the eye bolt in the hole and screw it to secure in place. You can also use chain and a big hook to hang the punching bag instead of drilling. In most cases, you will have to either drill the screw to the joist or use a rope to wrap it around the joist. both are fine for punching bags that weigh less than 125 lbs.
- Now place a swivel in the eye bolt or hook followed by the spring.
- Finish by hooking the chains on the bag and attaching the bag to the swivel and spring.
This is a simple way to hang a punching bag to the ceiling of a house, garage, warehouse, barn or any empty area with a roof.
Next, let’s learn how to hang a punching bag without a drill to an apartment. The below study is for all those punching bags that weigh more than 125 lbs.
How to hang punching bags that weigh more than 125 lbs?
For bags that weigh more than 125 lbs, follow the following steps to hang the punching bag without drilling.
- Attach the chains and swivel assembly to the bag as instructed.
- Drill and screw the ceiling mount on a joist and attach the eye bolt plate in the middle
- Hang the bag from the eye bolt
- Drill a hole on the floor for the eye hook and screw it in place.
- Tie one end of a bungee cord to the eye hook and the other on the D-ring located beneath the bag.
- That’s it! You are done.
Hanging Punching Bag Alternatives
There are many alternatives available for people who would not want to hang the punching bag to the ceiling. They don’t have to mount the punching bags at all. Here is what you should do.
> Search from free standing punching bags
> Get a standing speed punching bag
> Use a desktop punching bag for practice
> Use a wooden dummy to practice your kung fu and martial arts moves
> Practice boxing by fighting with real person
FAQ: Hanging Punching Bag without Drilling
- Can I hang the punching bag in the same way in apartment?
Yes, a punching bag can be hanged in the same way in an apartment. You can use the hook of the fan to hang the punching bag instead of creating a separate hole in the ceiling.
- Can I hang the punching bag to a drywall ceiling?
Yes, but make sure that you don’t drill a hole in the drywall to hang the punching bag. In drywall, drilling isn’t an effective way to hang the punching bag. Instead, simply search for the joist in the ceiling. You can also use the fan hook to hang the punching bag. This may be a cumbersome process but it is worth it. Also, you can buy a wall hanging bracket to hang the punching bags in the apartment.
- How to use a punching bag without hanging it?
Some people are using free standing punching bags. You don’t need to hang these punching bags to the ceiling of your house or apartment. Simply, use the standing punching bag and workout at anytime of the day.
In most cases, you won’t be able to find a place to hang your punching bag without drilling. However, you can always get a fan hook to hang the punching bag. That’s why most people are always in its favor.